[JA] Dummie question on virus/worm

  • From: outtolaunch@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 15:34:18 -0400

Hi,

    I've been getting some scary messages lately. They appear to be
from various rootsweb lists, displaying the list prepend --- like [JA]
---
in the subject line. I do genealogy, and subscribe to several rootsweb
lists,
so am likely to want to read such a message. There give no sign (that
I can spot) of being spam until it is too late.

    When I open one of these messages, I see a small part of a
an appropriate message. The header reveals that the message is to
"undisclosed recipients" rather than to the list. This appears to be
some sort of virus/worm taking a list message from the victim's mail
and sending itself with the title and part of the content. As I try to
view
the message, up pops the Windoze symbol that something is
downloading --- pages flipping to a folder --- along with an error
message about the download.

   The dummie question is:  If I'm NOT online at the time, can
anything be downloading?  Post-deletion virus scans come up
clean so far, but....

Thanks,

Peggy

Using Version 5