[JA] CMOS Batteries Was: Re: Juno's cookies

  • From: J�rel DD Arbaugh <computerist@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, no-tag-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:42:30 PDT

}Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 07:49:01 -0700
}Subject: [JA] Re: Juno's cookies
}From: thepccat

}By the way, how do you tell when it needs to be replaced? Can one make a
}voltage measurement, or just replace it frequently on principle? I guess
}my time is coming close [1.5 years when the lifetime is said to be ~ 3
}years]. On the other hand, I have a paper copy of all the cmos settings
}[somewhere], just in case.
}
}Cat

        There exist programs to save/restore the CMOS data to a disk.  A
Floppy is recommended, for this, so that it can restore the hard-disk
stuff too.  Just do not forget to include the program on a bootable
floppy with the data.  This can be a lot easier to use than setting it up
from the printouts.

        Another type of battery, consists of an internal cell inside of
the CMOS chip itself.  The only way to replace this, is to replace the
whole chip.  It lasts about 5 to 10 years, depending on how long it was
on the shelf before you got it.  There was quite a bit of traffic about
these back when the first ones started dying.
--
| Computerist.    This user is located in California.  It is a violation
of California law to send unsolicited commercial mail to this user.
---