[juneau-lug] Re: OpenBSD Gateway; A Whole Heap of Questions

  • From: Steven Elliot <patches5@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:44:09 -0800

Okay, I was trying to change all my refrences to my internal interface over to
the bridge interface and I ran into some problems.  First here's the output of
'brconfig -a'.

bridge0: flags=41<UP,RUNNING>
        Configuration:
                priority 32768 hellotime 2 fwddelay 15 maxage 20
        Interfaces:
                wi0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
                        port 3 ifpriority 128 ifcost 55
                dc0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
                        port 1 ifpriority 128 ifcost 55
        Addresses (max cache: 100, timeout: 240):
                00:50:da:cf:b3:27 dc0 1 flags=0<>
                00:40:33:d3:8e:be dc0 1 flags=0<>

As far as I can tell the bridge is up and running.  ifconfig -a confirms this
too.  Now a couple of problems I ran into.  First dhcpd won't bind to bridge0.
When I try to start dhcpd from the command line manually using 'dhcpd bridge0'
I get the error, "dhcpd: bridge0: not found'.  Maybe dhcpd can't run on
bridges?  Also of note I get the same result if I try to start dhcpd on the
wireless interface.

Furthermore when I run pf the rule 'nat on $ext_if from bridge0 -> ($ext_if)'
results in the error "no IP address found for bridge0".

Am I missing something?  Does the bridge need it's own IP?  Once again thanks
for your help.