[juneau-lug] MacOS 7.5.3

  • From: "James Zuelow" <jamesz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Juneau-Lug" <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:48:10 -0800

OK, I got MacOS 7.5.3 installed on two machines.  A PowerMac 7600/132 that
belongs to a friend of mine, and a PowerMac 8500/120 that I picked up at
surplus.  Both of the machines are fairly similar - ~24MB RAM, 1GB HDD, 8x
CD.  My friend is feeling the need for speed and will probably get broadband
of some type fairly soon, so I will set up his 7600 as an iptables firewall.
Don't know what to do with the 8500 yet.

I got around not having a working Mac by finally remembering that you can
search through every Debian package with a simple `apt-cache search`
command. [Insert slap on forehead here.] `apt-cache search hfs` led me to
the hfsutils and macutil packages, which let me format Mac floppies, and
move files back and forth between Mac HFS and *nix file systems.  That,
coupled with the Aladdin expander download, let me build a MacOS 7.5.3 Disk
Tools to boot my Macs with.  I had to cheat and use Windows to expand the
binhex disk images.  I could not find a free *nix Aladdin Expander, but they
do have a free Windows version.  Using Windows, drag & drop the downloaded
Mac floppy images into Aladdin Expander (might have to do it twice for
*.sit.bin images).  Then using Linux (I had the Windows directory mounted on
Linux using Samba), you can dd the resulting image to floppy.  You have to
skip the first 84 bytes, which is header information that will ruin the disk
information.  So the command line is:
`dd if=[Mac disk image] of=/dev/fd0 bs=84 skip=1`

The 7.5.3 Disk Tools floppy does not have the right formatting tool (the
drive setup that comes on the floppy only knows about ProDOS and HFS file
systems), so I found the Apple HD-SC drive setup tool that let me initialize
the disks and format them to a small HFS partition, and use the rest of the
disk for Apple Unix (A/UX) partitions for Linux to live on.  I used the
hfsutils programs to move the HD-SC Drive Setup tool onto the boot disk I
just made with dd.

I then put all 19 parts of the free MacOS 7.5.3 download from Apple into a
directory, and burned them to an HFS CD.  You have to specify HFS if you're
booting from one of the utility floppy, because Macs do not natively support
iso9660 disks (at least not with the 7.x floppies).  X-CD Roast 0.98 didn't
give me the option to make an HFS CD, but the information is all there in
the mkisofs man page.  (NOTE:  mkisofs can make a bootable Mac CD, but I
tried twice and couldn't get it to work.  There are three or four switches
you have to set, and I do not think I got the files set up right.  I ended
up just relying on the boot floppy to get the Mac going).

At that point, it was easy.  Boot the Mac with the utility floppy, partition
the drive, pop in the CD, and double-click the MacOS 7.5.3 installer.  I put
the 7.5.5 upgrade on the CD as well, along with an older Netscape version so
that I could retrieve files from my LAN.  (I tried 4.51, but it requires
7.6.1 or better, so ended up with 3.04 Gold, which is good enough for my
purposes.)

My next task is to get Debian on both machines.  The Netscape installation
lets me browse the web, so I will be able to retrieve anything else I need
over the network - the Debian Mac PowerPC floppy images, BootX, and a recent
Mac PowerPC kernel image. Should be no problems.  I also have two m68k
machines (a "Centris" 610 upgraded to a real 040, matching Quadra 610 specs,
and a Quadra 650) that I will set up and install OpenBSD from CD.

I will be starting up a Linux on other-than-i386 page for the juneau-lug.org
webpage, and put my floppy images up so other people don't need to worry
about skipping 84 bytes of header information.  Unfortunately, while Apple
gives 7.5.3 away for free, it is not redistributable so I will not be able
to put my CD image up.  :(  You'll have to download it from Apple yourself
and make the image.  I'll provide the exact command line, and a list of
necessary files.  If I work out the mkisofs syntax for a bootable MacOS
7.5.3 installation CD, I'll put that up as well.  A free *nix Aladdin
Expander is a must for those of you who don't have a Windows box handy to
decompress the files.

(If you don't have a Mac, you can get them at State Surplus.  The trick is
you have to get there early in the morning.  I picked up my 8500 there, and
see PCI based PowerMacs there on a semi-regular basis.  They are usually
gone by 9 A.M.)

Cheers,

James Zuelow
  IDEA Juneau Technician