[juneau-lug] Re: Linux Installed

  • From: jnjfz20 <jnjfz20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:31:40 -0800

Zachary Family wrote:

> 1. sharing the hard drive space with Win 98 machines on local network
> 2. sharing the hard drive space with DOS 6.22 machines on local network
This is Samba, which IIRC you've already gotten working to some point.
Samba is kind of complex when you first start out, but by the time
you've done three or four smb.conf files you find that it is in fact
fairly intuitive.  What I would suggest is that you don't use the
example files with your distro except for something to look at.  (At
least for me) typing out a config file by hand and then finding all of
the little errors and subleties that have crept in is the best way to
learn what all of the commands do.
I am very curious about hearing what happens when you retrieve and
install the Microsoft DOS SMB client.  Since Win95 didn't encrypt
passwords, I'm guessing that the DOS client won't either.  Win98
encrypts passwords by default, so you will probably have to turn that
off (it can be done).  I don't think you can set up Samba to accept both
encrypted and non-encrypted passwords.
> 3. establishing a local e-mail server for in-house e-mail with a port to the
> real world
A good starting point is the Offline Mailing mini-Howto that you can
find at http://www.linuxdoc.org.  The Offline Mailing mini-Howto isn't
really geared to your situation, but is very useful background material
if you're using a dialup.  There is also a mini-Howto about Sendmail
address rewriting that is more in line with what you're looking for (as
well as the full Mail Administrator HOWTO).  The HOWTOs, mini-HOWTOs and
book length guides are all available in tar.gz packages to download so
that you don't have to be on-line to read them.  I have several
installed on my server. Where they sit - with a one & four year old I
don't really have time to read them.  Sigh...

> 4. learn perl scripting language
> 5. ???
??? Live streaming audio/video broadcast from a Linux server ???  I know
you can do it with RealProducer 8.x, but there must be some sort of
OpenSource / Free Software solution. (Don't know about compatibility
issues though).