[jhb] Re: Obscured Side View Solution

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 14:41:49 +0100

It would be nice to to be able to see out of the side windows but still see the aircraft in Spot View. What's frustrating is that it's not the wings that obstruct the view, it's the, often pathetically drawn, cockpit sides and windsceen members. Since disabling the Model.cfg gets rid od the VC, the crumby graphics are obviously part of that. Is there a prog that opens Model.cfg, to see where are the bitmaps it uses? The Panel.cfg is baffling. Each of the three VC sectors, for the Lear, contains a File=Lear_Grey.bmp. Renaming each of these has absolutely no effect, so why are they there?

BTW, just realised it's Liverpool, and not Chelsea, in the final. More grey cell problems. I'll still bo on PCI; if I remember.

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:

I know there are other sufferers from the SP1 bug that prevents us getting rid of the duff cockpit sides, when looking at side views. The Avsim Forum provided a link to the WideFS designer's site, where he offers a solution:

"How to get rid of panel and cockpit parts on clients using WidevieW and Flight Simulator X SP1 update

It appears that using FSX SP1 it is no longer possible to get rid of panel & cockpit parts to get a

"clear" outside view, because it activates the "Virtual Cockpit View" mode beyond some view angles,

even if you are flying just in "Cockpit view" mode. To get full screen views without cockpit & panel

parts on WidevieW clients or stand-alone computers, please proceed as indicated below:

METHOD 1 (applies to WidevieW clients and regular stand-alone computers)

1) Run FSX and make sure that you are flying in "Cockpit View" mode (if not, set it to Cockpit View

and save the current flight activating the "default" flight option). DO NOT leave yourt flight set

into Virtual Cockpit View mode, otherwise you may get crash to desktop continuing this procedure!

2) Identify what aircraft is flying on your client (typically a Cessna or a Beech baron)

3) Close FSX

4) From MyComputer, open the folder where the aircraft flying on the client is stored. The typical

path is the following:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\AIRCRAFT_NAME

5) Enter into "model" folder

6) Rename the file "model.cfg" to "old_model.cfg" (note: don't worry if you don't see ".cfg", it

happens because your OS is not showing files' extensions)

7) Run FSX and test it. Doing the above procedure, FSX will not find the Virtual Cockpit files

anymore, so the annoying cockpit parts will be kicked away forever."

I've tried Method 1 on the Citation S, where I couldn't see out through the side windows, and it works. There is a downside that Emilio doesn't mention. The aircraft no longer appears in Spot or Tower Views. For those few aircraft that the bug made otherwise unuseable, I can live with that.