[jhb] Re: MTL models

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:48:35 -0000

The real problem facing IVAO is that the aircraft models used in FS2004 and
FSX are completely different.

The default aircraft in both sims are totally different beasts. For example
the C172 in FSX is a fresh design and the textures for this are quite
different (and much better) than the textures for the FS2004 aircraft. Not
only are the textures much more detailed but they are mapped quite
differently - you can't wrap the FSX C172 in the texture used for the FS2004
model (you could technically but it would look rather weird). I enclose
screenshots of both just to show the difference.

FSX textures are also DDS format (DXT5) and FS2004 doesn't recognise these.

As a result IVAO don't accept any FSX default repaints because they cannot
be installed by FS2004 users. To me this seemed odd but I now understand
that if such a model is used FSX users are OK but an FS2004 user would see
no aircraft at all.

Although the reverse is true and FS2004 aircraft can be used in FSX any
repaints of FS2004 aircraft are only distributed in the FS2004 MTL. Here
IVAO are stuck with legalities in that to make the aircraft work in FSX they
need to include all the aircraft files (MDL, .air, textures, sounds etc) but
would breach MS copyright by doing so. FS2004 repaints are therefore limited
to FS2004 users so this is an avenue I won't go down. I say that because if
I do we eat into our limited aircraft allocation.

IVAO are trying to get away from the default aircraft and their associated
problems by sticking with third party models from suppliers like AI
Aardvark. The advantage is that these models work with both sim versions so
there is no confliction of interest. The AI designs are also very low poly
counts and this is essential in keep FS load down. Despite the low poly
count most look quite presentable - I guess because the model doesn't need
interior detail or complex flap/gear modelling.

AVSIM lost a lot of files in their hacked system last year so it looks like
the paintkits listed are part of the lost library.

bones

 <mailto:bones@xxxxxxx> bones@xxxxxxx