[jhb] Doh!

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 22:07:58 +0100

Here was I, flying upside down, at 20 feet.......sorry, I got carried away.

Here was I, just downwind Ronaldsway's rwy 35, in a VFR from Andreas, minding my own business, when I got a text blast!

London control requesting I contact him immediately, giving just my callsign. That was a bit difficult. Since there were only Manchester and Gloucestershire towers manned, my headset was in the drawer.

When I did manage to get through he complained my readabillity was one. Taking the initiative, after I'd moved the mike from the back of my neck, I announced my callsign, plus the unsought info that I was downwind 35 at Ronaldsway, on a VFR flight from Andreas. At that point there was a perceptible gulp and he said he hadn't realised I was VFR. Since I was squawking 7000 and had filed a VFR flightplan, I can only assume that his alcohol intake had matched my own.

I thought the press gangs had died out years ago; well, over here anyway.

You ATC types must be desperate for someone to talk to.

Another instance of my being over reliant on Servinfo, which doesn't appear to list all controllers.