[jhb] Re: AI Impact

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:00:04 -0000

Basically no.

In theory designers are supposed to build several models of their aircraft
in reducing levels of complexity (LOD). As the aircraft gets further away
from your viewpoint to lower LOD's kick in and reduce system load. Opening
up the GMax sample models of the PA28, Dash8 and MD83 shows that several LOD
models have been created - the lowest being quite rough.

If a designer hasn't created several LOD models (I didn't on the Tiger) then
you see it in all its detailed glory as soon as it gets within viewing range
- even if it is just a dot on your screen. That's why Project AI came into
existence in creating low LOD AI aircraft that didn't thump the frame rates
too much.

I guess the trick is to look at an aircraft's MDL file and if it looks big
don't use it for AI.