Re: word processing software that works with JAWS?

  • From: chris hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 14:14:15 +0100

I'm currently trying iBM Lotus Symphony, and it's pretty good. You get programs that are as powerful as Word, Excel and Powerpoint, all at no charge. And it's accessible, too.

Mr Technician
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: chrishallsworth7266

On 21/05/2010 14:09, Rik James wrote:
What version of Word are you using?
Ah, yes, well, here is my deal.
I had been using Word 97, then 2000, and then 2003. But now, I'm just
about wondering about how many times I need to lay down money yet again
just to use the program. BAck in the DOS days, I was happy enough just
to peck away with my WordPerfect 5.1, and you know, I think things could
have just stayed that way, as far as I'm concerned. But maybe, that is
stinking thinking.

I guess I should have known better, but I was sad and irritated when
after reformatting my xp machine and get it running again to go to
install the 2003 office xp program to find that the license key part of
the installation did not work. The Microsoft folks tell me on the phone
that the program is no longer supported and I could pay some amount of
money to get it re-validated or just get the newer office programs. So,
I don't know if that is all correct or not.

So. I thought I'd try to install and use this free Open Office suite my
wife's son had been telling me about.
But, I find that a lot of the menus and stuff do not speak well with
JAWS, which is what I feared. Maybe if some of you find that you use it,
you may persuade me to stick with it, and learn it. But if you all think
it not worth it, I'm looking elsewhere.

Maybe someone on our list could advise?
I do not need a huge complicated program for what I do. I tend to get by
okay for email with the free Windows Live Mail program, and I never did
get around yet to learning how to use Access, or Powerpoint or even
Excel to any large extent. Is there a good simple and inexpensive word
processing software that some of you JAWS users like?

Thanks.
Richard with the light touch and soft head.

Alternative archives located at:

Alternative archives located at: