windows live, enforced upgrades and other irksome things

  • From: crystallogic@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:12:11 -0700

Hello list.

I attempted to log in to messenger the other day and found that I was prevented because my software wasn't sufficiently up-to-date for Microsoft. I despise enforced upgrades and resent the fact that i was expected to download a suite of over 130 MB, full of unnecessary stuff, just so I could use their messenger service. I did install the software though, and noticed right away how much slower it was on my computer. This morning I realised that it was also making me type like Yoda! I'm actually wondering if this could be a JAWS-related issue, and if anyone else has experienced it. I will type text in the input field, and the first word I type always ends up at the very end of my text. This is very strange indeed and I can think of no conceivable reason why this might happen. I'm using JAWS 9.0, and wonder if there is some kind of cursor movement conflict going on here?

My important questino though is to those of you who have dispensed with Windows Live and use some third party application for accessing the Microsoft network. Which ones do you recommend? Obviously, I'd like something small and functional, and JAWS-friendly. It's high time I get this hog off of my computer.

Alternative archives located at: