Re: too much Jaws chatter when loading a web page

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:46:41 -0700

Hi Troy,

I leave it to someone else to suggest a way to stop Jaws from reporting page
elements as a Web page loads. But I'd like to add that there is another way
besides just listening to the progress bar (the percentages) to follow
what's happening. And that is to use the Insert Page Down reading command to
read the status line of the screen. In most cases, the changing information
on this line will describe to you some or all of what's actually going on
while you wait, and then it will report, usually accurately, when loading is
finished. And even when you have a moment's confusion because the status
line says "done" or 100 per cent and you still can't navigate on the page,
pull down a links list or whatever, it can let you know that a sequence of
images are still loading. Like on a page with a lot of photographs that are
large files and take some time to assemble themselves on the screen. It will
refer to these as items.

Try this and see if it helps demystify the page loading process. Again, if
you don't want to hear Jaws read anything from the page during this
interval, I don't know what to say. I don't think it's something you can
address with the Verbosity settings at all. It's just something about what
grabs the Jaws focus as the page loads. Personally, I don't mind any of
this, myself, but you sound pretty annoyed by it, and maybe someone knows a
trick you can use.