skim reading and laptop layout

  • From: "Brian Giles" <briangiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 19:57:40 -0600

Hi all,

I'm using JAWS 10, and recently discovered the skim reading feature via the
DAISY book on it. Since it sounded pretty useful, I decided to start using
it. However, I can't get into it using the laptop layout which I normally
use. It's easier to just hit control shift caps lock down arrow to open the
dialog or all of those without the shift key to start a skim read. I can't
get the caps lock key to work though, so I have to use the numpad 0 key.
Caps lock works for everything else as a JAWS key though. I also have an HP
laptop running XP (this computer is running Vista), and the insert key isn't
in a good place for complex commands like the ones for skim reading; it's at
the top of the keyboard.

Anyone else not able to use the caps lock to get into skim reading?

Thanks,

Brian