revisiting the problem of jaws some times keeping quiet for a while when saying hi and similar words at the top of a message

  • From: "nicol" <nicoljacobus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:20:15 +0200

HI all
Some time ago, I posted to the list that jaws sometimes have the annoying
behavior of keeping quiet for a few seconds when the word hi or hello
appears at the top of messages, it will say hi then there is silence for say
4 seconds, then it reads the rest of the message.
Now I know why it is doing it but I still have my hands in my hair. Whenever
the word hi , hello or any other word appears at the top of a message with
any  punctuation next to it, jaws does this, but this only happens when
there is only one word at the top of the message followed by a punctuation
sign.
If the message begins with hi nicol, for instance, then jaws doesn't keep
quiet for so long.
The solution I found is to add entries to the dictionary manager, I replace
for example hi, with hi and then jaws doesn't pause there anymore.
I would just like any clever sharks on the list to  explain to me the
technicality behind this, why does jaws keep  silent    after reading the
top line of any e-mail  message? when the top line of the message consist
only of one word  followed by a comma.
This dictionary manager solution works fine, I just wanted to know why jaws
is doing this.
thanks