reading acronyms incorrectly

  • From: Michael Arnowitt <foodsong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 01:12:42 -0500

Is there a way to prevent Jaws from trying to read acronyms of capital letters as if they were words? Sometimes this results in some really weird pronunciations that I can't understand as the speech output is flying by.

I would rather have Jaws read all acronyms as individual letters.

To extend this to a more general rule, I would rather Jaws simply spell out words not in its dictionary than what it seems to do, namely, make up pronunciations.

When I called Freedom Scientific, they said if I had "Smart Word Reading" option in Text Processing checked, it should not try to read acronyms as words - however, when we looked, that checkbox was indeed checked. But maybe I have something else set up wrong?

I guess some sort of "Smart Word Reading" is activated, as it does spell out certain acronyms as individual letters (ACLU, SEC) and, sure, it's great that it says FEMA as "fee-ma", but many other times I wish it would not try to pronounce acronyms as if they were words - for example, US state abbreviations that happen to have a vowel in them, NYC it pronounces "Nick" ... I live in Vermont and there are a lot of acronyms where V is the first letter, and it won't say "Vee", but tries to give it a breathy consonant "vuh" instead, which is hard to hear. I'd rather give up on the few acronyms it has right in its dictionary and avoid the ones it messes up and just have a general rule that if it's in all capital letters, just spell it out. Is it possible to do that? (Even better would be a rule to spell out all acronyms not already in its dictionary to be pronounced as a word)

My Jaws teacher said I can re-program pronenciations of individual acronyms, but there are so many of them, I'm hoping to avoid having to do that.

Michael

(using Jaws 10)

Alternative archives located at: