Re: list messages

  • From: James <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 13:05:37 -0400

You fault areas of the network that are not at fault. Freelists.org or its
servers are doing nothing to either help or hinder messages being
distributed. As I've said before and as others have stated, this is a
high-traffic list. It's possible the delays you're seeing are for that
reason, period. As I've stated previously you can't expect the listserver
to send your message *immediately* after it receives it. Especially when
there are several for this or other lists it needs to send first. The
outbound mail server can only handle so much traffic, after all. As for
missing messages, or receiving double/tripple/whatever copies of a message,
two things:
1: You may have accidentally deleted messages you weren't meaning to. As
said this is a high traffic list. Multiples, sometimes hundreds, of
messages using the same or similar subjects.
2: Do you actually read the messages you see as duplications? Often times
the person(s) who's messages were supposedly duplicated simply submitted
more than one reply to a given thread. I've done that a few times.
3: As I said previously as well, duplications may also result from people
missing the message the first time they sent it, and so sent it a second
time thinking it didn't go through.
These problems can be caused by any or all of the following.
1: Network lag betwen your mail provider and the servers on which
freelists.org runs. This is not the problem or fault of freelists.
2: Messages believed to be bouncing from the list on attempts to deliver to
your mailbox, which can happen if the list server sees you're nearing your
maximum storage limit. I see this commonly happening with users of hotmail
who don't check their mail for a few days, but given the traffic of the
list I wouldn't be surprised if it happens to more people than that.
3: Your mail provider has been blacklisted by freelists.org. This could be
due to users of your provider being abusive either on a list or to
freelists.org staff in general. That is out of any list administrator's
hands and rests solely with the server owner or owners.

All of these issues will be faced whether we stay with freelists or return
to yahoo groups, or switch to an entirely different list provider. Such is
the risk we take when operating on free servers like this. And, as common
sense would dictate, this is strictly a volunteer effort on the part of
everyone here, be they a regular contributer with helpful information or
the list administration. That said, no one should have to pay for said
volunteer time. And, I've no intention of changing that. So, the option of
paying for better service, which is the only viable option if improvements
in these areas are entirely that important, is simply out of the question.
Not all of us have the financial backing for such a step for one, and
should the list change hands we'll end up back to square one all over again
due to that.

Nothing is by any means perfect. For that matter a free system is nowhere
near perfect. But it's there, it's available, and it's accessible. To a
community that depends on making things easily accessible, this should in
my opinion be chief among priorities.

James,
List Admin

-- Type: text/plain