Re: jaws and windows updates:

  • From: "Debbie Scales" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:05:22 -0400

I agree about the critical updates.  But there is one thing to be aware of.
Sometimes windows update will download driver updates for certain video
cards like the NVIDIA.  Updating your drivers in XP can cause a video
intercept error which needs to be corrected.
This is discussed in this technical support notice which tells how to fix
the video intercept.

Updating your display driver causes MAGic and/or JAWS to intercept video
incorrectly.
http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_support/BulletinView.cfm?QC=504
Part of it reads:
Note: Occasionally, the Windows Automatic Update service may download
updated video drivers for you to install. It is always recommended that you
activate the Details button in the Automatic Update wizard so that you know
which updates are going to be installed. If a display driver appears on the
list and you choose to install it, be prepared to perform the above steps
after restarting your computer.