RE: home row utility?

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:38:58 -0000

Troy,

The Home Row utility is intended for use by people creating scripts for
applications. Here is an excerpt from the documentation:

"JAWS provides you with a powerful set of utilities to quickly analyze
an unknown application. These utilities are called the home row
utilities. When the home row utilities are activated, some of the
keyboard is placed in a shifted state. These utilities give you access
to system level window information that you can use when scripting an
unknown application. You can determine parent-child relationships,
windows identifiers, and retrieve information about MSAA objects. Press
INSERT+SPACEBAR to turn on the home row utilities and press
INSERT+SPACEBAR a second time to turn off the home row utilities."

End of excerpt.
For more information you might want to look in the
basics_of_scripting.chm file that accompanies JAWS. For version 8 it's
in the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\8.0\MANUALS\enu
The Home Row utility information is under Windows Program Structure in
the contents tree view.

Steve