RE: gmail

  • From: "Aman Singer" <aman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:10:11 -0500

Hi.
        Gmail is somewhat accessible. You have to use the Jaws/mouse cursor
quite a bit. However, they provide keyboard shortcuts, which are quite
helpful. They're listed below. To turn them on, go to the page, log in =
(this
should be accessible), route your Jaws cursor to PC, go up to settings =
(it's
on a line with a few other things, you might just want to go to the top =
of
the screen and use jaws find to find settings), click it, and you'll =
find an
accessible form where you can turn keyboard settings on and off.=20
        Gmail also has POP access. Search for *pop in this message to find
the information on enabling it for Outlook Express.
        Good luck.
        Aman

What are the keyboard shortcuts?

Answer

return to Help Center

Keyboard shortcuts save you time by allowing you to explore Gmail =
quickly
without taking your hands off the keyboard to use the mouse. These =
shortcuts
also
make it easier for you to navigate through Gmail's features, like
Conversation View, which allows you to see all of your messages stacked
neatly on top
of each other, like a deck of cards.

To turn these case-sensitive shortcuts on or off, click 'Settings,' then
pick an option next to 'Keyboard shortcuts.'

Table with 3 columns and 17 rows
Shortcut Key
Definition
Action
Compose
Allows you to compose a new message. <Shift> + c allows you to compose a
message in a new window.
/
Puts your cursor in the search box.
Move to newer conversation
Opens or moves your cursor to a more recent conversation. You can hit
<Enter> to expand a conversation.
Move to older conversation
Opens or moves your cursor to the next oldest conversation. You can hit
<Enter> to expand a conversation.
Moves your cursor to the next message. You can hit <Enter> to expand or
collapse a message. (Only applicable in Conversation View.)
Moves your cursor to the previous message. You can hit <Enter> to expand =
or
collapse a message. (Only applicable in Conversation View.)
o or <Enter>
Open
Opens your conversation. Also expands or collapses a message if you are =
in
Conversation View.
Return to inbox
Return to conversation list
Refreshes your page and returns you to the inbox or your list of
conversations. (Only applicable in Conversation View.)
Archive*
*Remove from current view
Automatically removes the message or conversation from your current =
view.
List of 5 items
=95=A0In Inbox View, 'y' means Archive
=95=A0In Starred View, 'y' means Unstar
=95=A0In Spam View, 'y' means Unmark as spam and move to Inbox
=95=A0In Trash View, 'y' means move to Inbox
=95=A0In Label View, 'y' means Remove the label
list end
'y' has no effect if you're in 'Sent' or 'All Mail'
Select conversation
Automatically checks and selects a conversation so that you can archive,
apply a label, or choose an action from the drop-down menu to apply to =
that
conversation.
Star a message or conversation
Adds or removes a star to a message or conversation. Stars allow you to =
give
a message or conversation a special status.
!
Report spam
Marks a message as spam and removes it from your conversation list.
Reply to the message sender. <Shift> + r will allow you to reply to a
message in a new window. (Only applicable in Conversation View.)
Reply to all message recipients. <Shift> +a allows you to reply to all
message recipients in a new window. (Only applicable in Conversation =
View.)
Forward a message. <Shift> + f allows you to forward a message in a new
window. (Only applicable in Conversation View.)
<Esc>
Escape from input field
Removes the cursor from your current input field.
table end

Combo-keys - Use the following keys together to navigate through Gmail.

Table with 3 columns and 5 rows
Shortcut Key
Definition
Action
<tab> then <Enter>
Send message
After composing your message, use this combination to automatically send =
it.
y then o
Archive and next
Archive your conversation and move to the next one.
g then a
Go to 'All Mail'
Takes you to 'All Mail,' the storage place for all the mail you've ever =
sent
or received, but haven't deleted.
g then s
Go to 'Starred'
Takes you to all of the conversations that you've starred.
table end
updated 8/4/2004

If this answer does not resolve your issue, please
search or browse the Help Center
for more assistance. If you still cannot find your answer, please
contact us.

Search Knowledge Base

For answers containing...
=A0

=A92004 Google -
Gmail Home  =20
=20

*pop
for POP on Gmail, see the following. You'll have to use the mouse for =
the
pop and forwarding link, as well as the settings link.
        Aman

What is POP, and how do I use it?

Answer

return to Help Center

POP, or Post Office Protocol, lets you download messages from Gmail's
servers onto your computer so you can access your mail with a program =
like
Microsoft
Outlook Express or Netscape Mail, even when you aren=92t connected to =
the
Internet.

POP access is free for all Gmail users and we have no plans to charge.

* Over the next several weeks, we are introducing POP access to all of =
our
users. To make sure the feature is fully stable, we're giving users =
access
POP in phases. Once POP access is available to you, a 'New Features!' =
link
appears at the top of your account, along with a 'Forwarding and POP' =
tab on
your 'Settings' page.

Learn more about accessing your Gmail messages with POP:
List of 3 items
=95=A0How do I enable POP?
=95=A0How do I configure my mail client?
=95=A0What about IMAP?
list end

How do I enable POP?

Answer

return to Help Center

You can retrieve your Gmail messages with a client or device that =
supports
POP, like Microsoft Outlook or Netscape Mail.

To enable POP in your Gmail account, please follow these steps:

List of 6 items
1.=A0Log in to your Gmail account.
2.=A0Click 'Settings' at the top of any Gmail page.
3.=A0Click 'Forwarding and POP' in the orange 'Mail Settings' box.
Gmail POP Settings
4.=A0Select 'Enable POP for all mail' or 'Enable POP for mail that =
arrives
from now on.'
5.=A0Choose the action you would like your Gmail messages to take after =
they
are accessed with POP.
6.=A0Configure your POP client
*, and click 'Save Changes.'
list end
*To learn about configuring POP access, please visit the
POP client configuration list.

updated 11/9/2004

The POP client configuration list can be found in Gmail help.