Re: control f vs. control-insert-f

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:33:36 -0700

Adrian,
Despite what you say, if I just enter a search string in the Control Shift F
function while in an email, by which I mean an email I've received, not one
I'm creating, and then press enter, I'm kicked out of the message, which
closes and leaves me focused on its listing in my Inbox again.  Let me check
what the default control is if you press enter immediately...

Well, Jaws key/Insert E tells me that the Find button is the focus when
you're typing in the edit field, but nonetheless, if I don't tab down
through the options for which direction to search in and whether to ignore
case or not before arriving at Find Text Only, and *then* and only then
press Enter, the messages closes, and I'm once more reading its listing in
my Inbox.

Now, I don't mind this, so I'm not looking for an adjustment of any sort.
But I'd just like to repeat that this is how it works for me, and I'd still
suggest that, for anyone for whom this kind of search doesn't work as Adrian
describes the procedure, try doing what I do, instead, and see if that works
for you.

From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Patricia,
I'd like to add something to Dean's generous explanation. First of all, I
use a simple Control F on the Web for any searching I want to do, and that's
that. This is how, once I learn that a certain word way down the home page,
after several screens of global navigation links, is there the stuff I'm
looking for actually begins. Or whatever, like just finding a word in a New
York times article to reread that paragraph.

One Find or Search function no one's mentions, and which I was very relieved
to learn from someone on this list, is control shift F, which I use in order
to find text within an open Outlook express message. Of course you can't use
control F, as that's an OE command to forward the message.

The one thing to be careful of when using this one is that you can't just
input a search term and hit enter. You must tab down once, then a second
time, to get to the Find Text Only option. Then hit enter, and you'll be
taken to the word or phrase you're looking for. If you were to just hit
enter after you type in the search term, the email message will simply
close.

Hope this helps.