Re: blind people need to die!, how to find origin

  • From: "Terrill Reynolds" <terrill1@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 16:00:15 -0400

How to find the right ISP to complain to? It takes a close look at the spam
message's header lines. These headers contain information about the

path an email took.

follow the path until the point where the email was sent from. From this point,
also know as an

IP address,

it can derive the spammer's ISP and send the report to this ISP's abuse
department.

Let's take a closer look at how this works.

Email: Header and Body

Every email message consists of two parts, the body and the header. The header
can be thought of as the envelope of the message, containing the address

of the sender, the recipient, the subject and other information. The body
contains the actual text and the attachments.

Some header information usually displayed by your email program includes:

List of 4 items

. From: - The sender's name and email address.

. To: - The recipient's name and email address.

. Date: - The date when the message was sent.

. Subject: - The subject line.

list end

Header Forging

The

actual delivery of emails

does not depend on any of these headers, they are just convenience.

Usually, the From: line, for example, will be set to the sender's address. This
makes sure you know who the message is from and can reply easily.

Spammers want to make sure you cannot reply easily, and certainly don't want
you to know who they are. That's why they insert fictitious email addresses

in the From: lines of their junk messages.

So the From: line is useless if we want to determine the real source of an
email. Fortunately, we need not rely on it. The headers of every email message

also contains Received: lines.

These are not usually displayed by email programs, but they can be very helpful
in tracing spam. Find out how helpful they are, and how the analysis works

What Email Headers can Tell You About the Origin of Spam

Parsing Received: Header Lines

Just like a postal letter will go through a number of post offices on its way
from sender to recipient, an email message is processed and forwarded by several

mail servers.

Imagine every post office putting a special stamp on each letter. The stamp
would say exactly when the letter was received, where it came from and where

it was forwarded to by the post office. If you got the letter, you could
determine the exact path taken by the letter.

This is exactly what happens with email.

As a mail server processes a message, it adds a special line, the Received:
line to the message's header. The Received: line contains, most interestingly,

List of 2 items

. the server name and IP address of the machine the server received the message
from and

. the name of the mail server itself.

list end

The Received: line is always inserted at the top of the message headers.

If we want to reconstruct an email's journey from sender to recipient we also
start at the topmost Received: line (why we do this will become apparent in

a moment) and walk our way down until we have arrived at the last one, which is
where the email originated.

Spammers know that we will apply exactly this procedure to uncover their
whereabouts. To fool us, they may insert forged Received: lines that point to
somebody

else sending the message.

Since every mail server will always put its Received: line at the top, the
spammers' forged headers can only be at the bottom of the Received: line chain.

This is why we start our analysis at the top and don't just derive the point
where an email originated from the first Received: line (at the bottom).

How to Tell a Forged Received: Header Line

The forged Received: lines inserted by spammers to fool us will look like all
the other Received: lines (unless they make an obvious mistake, of course).

By itself, you can't tell a forged Received: line from a genuine one.

This is where one distinct feature of Received: lines comes into play. As we've
noted above, every server will not only note who it is but also where it

got the message from (in IP address form).

We simply compare who a server claims to be with what the server one notch up
in the chain says it really is. If the two don't match, the earlier Received:

line has been forged.

In this case, the origin of the email is what the server immediately after the
forged Received: line has to say about who it got the message from.

Are you ready for

an example?

List of 5 items

Example Spam Analyzed and Traced

Now that we know

the theoretical underpinning,

let's see how analyzing an junk email to identify its origin works in real life.

I've just received an exemplary piece of spam that we can use for exercise.
Here are the header lines:

  by mail1.infinology.com with SMTP; 16 Nov 2003 19:50:37 -0000

2003 13:38:22 -0600

From: "Reinaldo Gilliam" <27knxeppzk@xxxxxxxxx>

To: ladedu@xxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Category A Get the meds u need lgvkalfnqnh bbk

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 13:38:22 GMT

  boundary="9B_9.._C_2EA.0DD_23"

Can you tell the IP address where the email originated?

Sender and Subject

First, take a look at the - forged - From: line.

The spammer wants to make it look as if the message was sent from a

Yahoo! Mail

account. Together with the Reply-To: line, this From: address is aimed at
directing all bouncing messages and angry replies to a non-existing Yahoo! Mail

account.

Next, the Subject: is a curious agglomeration of random characters. It is
barely legible and obviously designed to fool

spam filters

(every message gets a slightly different set of random characters), but it is
also quite skillfully crafted to get the message across in spite of this.

The Received: Lines

Finally, the Received: lines. Let's begin with the oldest, Received: from
[235.16.47.37] by 38.118.132.100 id <5416176-86323>; Sun, 16 Nov 2003 13:38:22

-0600. There are no host names in it, but two IP addresses: 38.118.132.100
claims to have received the message from 235.16.47.37. If this is correct,
235.16.47.37

is where the email originated, and we'd find out which ISP this IP address
belongs to, then

send an abuse report

to them.

Let's see if the next (and in this case last) server in the chain confirms the
first Received: line's claims: Received: from unknown (HELO 38.118.142.100)

(62.105.106.207) by mail1.infinology.com with SMTP; 16 Nov 2003 19:50:37 -0000.

Since mail1.infinology.com is the last server in the chain and indeed "my"
server I know that I can trust it. It has received the message from an "unknown"

host that claimed to have the IP address 38.118.132.100 (using the

SMTP HELO command).

So far, this is in line with what the previous Received: line said.

Now let's see where my mail server did get the message from. To find out, we
take a look at the IP address in brackets immediately before by
mail1.infinology.com.

This is the IP address the connection was established from, and it is not
38.118.132.100. No, 62.105.106.207 is where this piece of junk mail was sent

from.

HTH

Best wishes,
Terrill Reynolds