Re: back-up drives and software, another question!

  • From: "AB7HW Dick Lee Chrisman" <ab7hw@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 01:55:50 -0700

Question on Norton's Ghost, Windows XP will not let you boot from a external drive, so if you have a hard drive failure either from a windows file being corrupted or by any other reason how are you restoring the ghosted files using Norton's on a external hard drive?
I have had this kind of problems when trying to down load and install Windows Critical files and they hang up or JFW stops talking and the computer freezes up, then Windows is corrupted, my sighted helper tell me that they can not boot to the External drive.
I have used Casper the back up program and it is not a fault with Casper it is the fact that Windows XP will not boot to a external drive, not sure about Windows 98.
From what I read Casper recommends you have a second drive physically in your computer and with this the booting question is a moot point since Windows will boot to another internal hard drive.
How does Norton's Ghost program differ from this and how do you handle the problem.
I would welcome a positive piece of advice for this question, I would look for any kind of advice on this question. would it not be wonderful if we could work this using JFW! This is related to JFW since once the computer dies I do also!
Dick
----- Original Message ----- From: "Adam Daou" <adam.daou@xxxxxxxxxx>