WindowsXP Classic Help

  • From: "Phil Halton" <philhalt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:54:41 -0400

for everyone who is as frustrated as I was with the "help & support" center in
Windows XP which replaced the old familiar "classic" help system from earlier
versions of windows, there is a way to revert to Classic help in XP, bypassing
the "help & support" center.
If you open a run dialog with the key combo WindowsLogoKey + R, and type "HH
Windows.chm"(without the quotes) and press enter, it will bring up the old
style help.  Unfortunately, there is no "contents" tab which was great for
browsing, only an "index", "search", or "favorites"  tab.

Just in case I forget how to do this in the future, I made a desktop shortcut
for this by :
1. right clicking on the desktop
2. selecting "new"
3. selecting "shortcut"
4. in the target field, typing c:\windows\hh.exe windows.chm
5. naming it "windows Classic Help" in the dialog that appears after entering
the target.

Phil Halton