Re: What's New in JAWS 10 DAISY and MP3 Files Posted

  • From: Yardbird <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 22:47:32 -0700

james, Gerald and Ray,

It took me a little fiddling around, but I finally have downloaded and
installed  the What's New in Jaws 10 Daisy material so that I can get at it
through the FS Reader Demo, and I figured out how to navigate within the
books and topics once I open it. It doesn't work quite in the standard
Windows help documentation book and topic way, although knowing that F6
plays a part and so forth helped me get the hang of it. it turns out that
some of the topics Eric and Dan talk about are ones that I've already heard
discussed on a recent FS Cast, but others are new, or better explained. And,
not to be catty, but I found it kind of amusing for Eric to describe the
Reply Directly to Sender feature as one that was intentionally dropped for a
couple of versions. Gosh, most of us who've found it not to work right
anymore have been under the impression that it was simply broken, and I
think my saying that will bet a lot of knowing laughs. So I guess they've
got a house spin doctor who must have advised Eric to say this, so that he
didn't have to admit that the thing broke down and nobody fixed it despite a
million complaints that were dutifully submitted to FS tech support. Well,
that's no worse than most corporations of any sophistication, not to mention
politicians in and out of office. So bottom line is, glad the feature's
working again.

but I digress. Thanks to all of you. Once I just got into it and bumbled
around a little bit, I got the hang of it. Time invested. That's fine. But
when I think of how much time in my life, hours and days, I've spent
learning and upgrading my Jaws skills, it's pretty impressive. If, over the
decades that I drove a car, I'd had to devote that much time to learning to
operate automobiles, I can't imagine how I'd ever have gotten to the
supermarket, let alone from San Francisco to Tucson  or wherever. But time
invested in Jaws is time well spent, of course. I could refuse to do it and
sit on the street with a pencil cup, I suppose. Slight exaggeration, but
still. Jaws really is the one most outstanding adaptive product and skill
that enabled me to carry on a vigorous life when my vision went south, so
I'm just venting for the pleasure of it.

Did I say "digress?" Well, thanks again all three of you for your help with
the Daisy demo thing. By the way, I understand that some Daisy files have
text you can read with Jaws, I guess, and others are audio only. Is there a
standard way to figure out what a specific file has immediately upon opening
it I tried to down arrow or say all on one of these, and it read a sentence
or two but then stopped, because I guess it was really just audio.

Joel