RE: What Would you like to be Available in Future Versions of JAWS?

  • From: "Ray Campbell" <ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:28:19 -0600

Hi All:

There are six things I'd like to see in future versions of JAWS:
1) the ability for JAWS to truly be portable when run from a USB drive.
That is, JAWS could be installed on a USB drive and plugged into any
computer one needs access to and it would work, without having to
install video support on that computer.  System Access does this.
2) Support for personal and business finance software like QuickBooks.
If blind people are going to have a chance at the jobs out there,
adaptive software needs to support the tools used on the job, period.
3) Freedom Scientific should offer a Lease to Own option for JAWS just
like one of your competitors does.
4) JAWS should support on-line course software like that from Pearson
Educational Systems.  People who are blind are denied access to on-line
math and other courses because the plug-ins are not accessible.  I was
forced to drop a class because of this.
5) Support for Java on web pages and in web-based applications.
6) Support for access to on-line certification tests such as those from
Microsoft and ComputerTraining.com.  I have heard you cannot use
keyboard commands with these.

Thanks,

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)