Re: Video Cards

  • From: "Bill Gallik" <wfgallik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 04:51:19 -0600

Unfortunately, the issue of video components can hardly be separated from
JAWS since the former may have such a negative impact on the latter.  I ran
into this when I got this PC on which I am reading my email and the video
component was not particularly high-end, but it sure messed with JAWS.  I
also have a much older PC with a Matrox Millennium video component and I
have much less trouble with JAWS on that system than I have on this one.
That despite having one fourth the memory, one third the clock speed and
probably slower bus access (although I cannot confirm that).  Nevertheless,
my old 200 MHz Gateway rarely has trouble with JAWS losing its' way whereas
it happens frequently on this 733 MHz system.

The only component that should contribute to this phenomenon is the video
since all other attributes of this system should induce better performance
than my old Gateway.  That's why I usually take a conservative position and
suggest going with the tried and true over state of the art.