Two Amazon questions

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:00:15 -0800

1.  Lately, when a page opens on the Amazon site, the jaws focus seems to be
attracted first to something that says
content goes here (simple)
Anyone know what this page element is?
2. I just tried clicking on the link under a book title listing that seems
to offer you a look at a page of the book, or its cover (not much use for
me), its table of contents, and the copy on the flaps.  I clicked on the
link to see a page of the book, but when I scouted through the usual global
navigation links, the repeated listing of the book and its price and all
that blah blah, I came to a series of controls I couldn't intuit the use of.

Nonetheless, I clicked on one of them to see if it would fill the screen
with that page of the book and let me read it with Jaws, but it just seemed
to take me to yet another page with more of the same.  I just don't get
this.  Is this stuff simply inaccessible to a screen reader?  Like  is it
graphically-produced text that's inside those areas that announce themselves
as "content" or something, that I mentioned above?

Anybody familiar with this feature?

Thanks.