Re: The J2 Program

  • From: "KANE BROLIN" <k.brolin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 18:58:37 -0500

Devona:

The J2 program is of use mostly to sighted people.  It enables them to see
advanced graphics of various kinds on the screen--especially dynamic
graphics such as a stock ticker or sports scores that continuously refresh.
Lots of videogames, too, are enabled with Java, so that the player can see
complex 3D images.  As a result, your Web browser will require you to have
the J2 program if you wish to play some of these games online.

J2 can co-exist on the same machine with Windows XP and JFW 5.1, as long as
you force these programs to play nicely together.  Sometimes, blind users
who use speech or Braille readout need to have installed the J2 plug-in even
if we don't draw huge benefit from it, because certain sites won't even open
without its being linked to your browser.  If you want to download the
latest version of this, go to the following URL:
http://java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp

It's not hard to download or to install.  But if you have Windows XP, make
sure you've installed Service Pack 2.  If you've done so, you can have the
best of both worlds: having Java installed in case you need it, but losing
the annoying IE Java toolbar that makes it impossible for JFW sometimes to
read Java-enabled Web pages.  After installing SP2 and the J2 program, go
into Internet Explorer's Tools menu and select the "Manage Third-Party
Add-Ons" item from the pop-up list.  Then choose "Sun Java Console" and make
sure this console is disabled.  In case anyone in your life needs to use it
later, you can enable the console again in basically the same way.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind regards,

-Kane