Technology Leap of Incredible Proportions

  • From: "shawnandlori" <Shawnandlori@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 18:05:01 -0400

I'm quite baffled/confused, and I've got good reason to be. I've just leaped
from Windows 98 with JAWS 4.02 to Windows Vista Home Basic with JAWS 10.1154.
We've heard of culture shock, so would this qualify as technology shock? This
is probably a somewhat unique situation, so feel free to respond to my personal
email address (shawnandlori@xxxxxxx), if you feel that would be more
appropriate than teaching me what probably amounts to basics on the list itself.

1. I've personalized the punctuation read-out in the Configuration Manager to
read certain symbols all the time, but JAWS isn't following my prescription.
Even though (, ), *, &, @, etc. are set on read "all", I can only find the
symbols by arrowing through what I'm reading one character at a time; "say
all", "say line", and "say word" omit the punctuation.

2. I'm used to Outlook Express and am now adjusting to Windows Mail (and we're
not getting along). Windows Mail doesn't use "identities" for different email
address; it just dumps all email from all your email addresses into one inbox.
I can't figure out how to tell which mail is from which address. I seem to only
be able to originate mail from my default address (as opposed to replying to
mail, which does reply as from the address it was sent to). How can I sort this
mess out? I know it's more of a Vista question than a JAWS question, but I
think it falls half-way in-between; the answer is probably right on the screen,
but I just can't see it.

3. How can I get Magic I-Merge to recognize my camera? Please, give me
directions I can follow using JAWS to do the work.

4. When a Flash movie appears on a webpage, I toggle to applications mode, but
JAWS kicks me back to the virtual cursor immediately, before I can hit the
"play" button. The JAWS cursor isn't any help by clicking on the button either.

5. Is there a list of non-Microsoft programs that JAWS works with? especially
games?

I think your assistance with the above queries will keep me busy for the next
little while. I'm not far enough along to work on the Script Manager, but I'll
eventually get there. I'm using the Real Speak Solo voices, if that makes any
difference to the directions you'll give me. I could make Windows 98 just about
sing, and now I'm climbing up a steep learning curve. I do sincerely appreciate
any help you can be.

With respect,
Lori in Ohio