Switching Accounts

  • From: <couey_c@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 11:51:37 -0400

Not quite.  What you need to do is the following:

open windows explorer (Windows-key plus the letter "E");

under My Computer select the hard drive (usually the C drive);

Note: from here on I'm referring to Windows XP Home;

press the right arrow key to open the drive;

arrow down to Documents and Settings;

again, open this with the right arrow key;

move to and open All Users;

move to and open Start Menu;

move to and open Programs;

move to the version of JAWS you wish to have start when you log on;

(the above presumes one might have more than one version of JAWS on their
computer);

press Tab to get into the list of files and folders under JAWS in the Start
Menu;

select the JAWS shortcut;

press the Applications key to open up a Context Menu;

press the letter "c" to copy the shortcut to the clipboard;

press the key combination Shift plus Tab to move back into the list of files
and folders under the start menu for all users;

type the letters "st" to go to the Startup item under Programs;

press the key combination Control plus the letter "v" as in "victor" to paste
the JAWS shortcut into the Startup menu;

press Alt plus F4 to close the Windows Explorer;

then do the following:

press Insert plus the letter "j" to open the JAWS window;

go to options;

go to Basic;

uncheck the "Run JAWS First" check box;

(this won't be necessary since you now have placed the JAWS start icon in the
Startup group);

Then no matter which User Profile you log onto the computer to use, JAWS will
start when the user logs on,.

Be aware that JAWS will not start when the computer does, so you'll have to
either know the proper key strokes to select the user profile you want to be
logged onto, or you'll need to start Narrator to help you make your choice.  If
you have to start Narrator you can Alt Tab into the Narrator screen once you've
logged on and Tab over to Close.

I know this was lengthy, but having been a trainer for a while, I believe it is
necessary to be detailed.

I hope this helps.

Charles