Problem with a system starting Windows XP Professional

  • From: "Dave Durber" <d.durber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:06:24 -0400

Greetings Everyone:

Can someone contact me off list with the following problem!

Last night I downloaded and installed some recommended Windows updates for
my Windows XP Pro machine.

When the update download and install process finished, I got the prompt
telling me that I had to restart Windows for the new settings to take
effect.  Well, I accepted the choice, Windows began going through the
Restart process but unfortunately, when Windows restarted, the booting
process went so far and then restarted all over again without going all the
way to the Desktop, each time displaying a message that Windows could not
proceed loading and apologizing for any inconvenience this problem may have
caused.

now, someone on this list, posted a message a week or so ago, about
information regarding the "SFC" command.  The 3 questions I have are:

1.  will this command work on a machine that is booted to DOS using a floppy
disk, for example.

2. In order to be able to use the CD ROM, what files do I need to copy to
the floppy disk, if I prepare such a bootable floppy disk in Windows.

3.  What command lines do I need to put in the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS
files to accomplish what I wish to do.

Needless to say, I do not want to reinstall Windows and by extension all my
programs as well, if another solution can be found.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

Alternative archives located at: