Re: Premier CD Creator

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:07:09 -0800

this is just one opinion, but I tried it on a trial basis, and didn't enjoy
the experience very much.  The version I tried, a year or so ago, didn't
include a capability to copy CDs, only to rip tracks and then to burn tracks
onto a blank CD.  In what seemed intended as a gesture toward screen reader
users who often have to make do with one-word labels that may sound
mystifying to some inexperienced users of a preprogram , they wrote overly
wordy labels for all their control buttons, which were really tedious
because you had to tab through them again and again to get to the function
you wanted, as the program didn't seem to offer any hotkeys for common
operations.

Finally, it misbehaved badly on the ripping process, presenting a list of a
bunch of heavy metal album tracks no matter what I tried to rip, and I don't
know where it got those tracks, and no matter which CD of mine was actually
in the drive.  And when I emailed tech support several times, I got only one
answer, from an executive, saying the programmers were awfully busy but
they'd eventually respond to me.

To my next one or two pleas for help, I didn't even get a response.  So I
say no on this one.  Especially not considering the cost!

As for Jaws-friendly programs for burning CDs, how about looking in your
Windows XP (if that's what you have) for Sonic Record Now, which is totally
free, very Jaws friendly (at least in the version that came with my XP Home
on this new computer, a year ago), and I like it a lot after trying all
those commercial programs plus the exasperatingly unfriendly Windows Media
Player and Real Player.  It's settings for ripping aren't as complex and
sophisticated as those of CDex, if you learn how to use it (also free and
others will explain  how touuse it), so I now use Sonic Record Now for
burning but CDex for ripping.

At least try it, if you have it.