Re: Outlook Express and importing

  • From: "Chris Chaffin" <chaffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 08:23:29 -0400

Hi,
Besides doing an export / import or using a program like E backup, I am not
sure, but I did have this idea!  Can you just create a folder on your
desktop computer within outlook express that does not exist on your laptop,
put all the messages in that folder, Go to the directory where these
messages are stored which should be in one file with the same name as the
folder that you created, copy the dbx file to an external source, then copy
it to the directory where your messages are stored on your laptop.
If it works, then when you open outlook express on your laptop the folder
should be there in your folder list view with the messages inside!
To find the directory where your messages are stored on your hard drive, do
a search or find for 'Inbox.dbx'.  The folder that you created should be in
the same directory that your inbox is located.  And you can do the same
thing on your laptop to find the directory where you should put the folder
that you are moving.  I would just make a copy for protective measures.
Then if something goes wrong, you still have the messages on your desktop
computer!  Once you move the messages and they are successfully on your
laptop, then you can delete them from your desktop computer if you wish!
As far as the address book, maybe you could just use the export / import
feature.  I am just not sure if when you import them to your laptop, if it
would overwrite the existing address book already located on your system.
Hope this helps,
Chris Chaffin