Omnipage Pro 14: How work with JAWS

  • From: "Bob Hartt" <harttb11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:42:09 -0500

JAWS help for Omnipage Pro says its advice has only been verified for
Omnipage Pro version 10.  The advice does not seem accurate for Omnipage
Pro 14 and I can't get it to work.  I need help on how to use JAWS with
Omnipage Pro 14 to scan both paper and electronic documents, perform O C
R on them and then save the documents to Word.

As recommended by the JAWS help guidance for OmniPage Pro, I have gone
into the view menu and unchecked the Image and Thumbnail menus. It also
recommends that you set the Zoom Option found under the View Menu to
100%. However, I can't get at the zoom option because it says this
option is unavailable.

Below are two examples of JAWS commands explained in Help that don't
work and the response I am getting:

1.  CTRL+SHIFT+A, to activate Auto OCR
Response I get:  "The toolbox was not found.  Choose the toolbars option
under the view menu to activate the toolbox."
My comment:  I have made sure "Omnipage Toolbox" is checked under
toolbars in the view menu.  Three other boxes listed here, Standard,
Image and Formatting, are also checked.

2.  Jaws keyboard command:  CTRL+SHIFT+B, to move to Auto OCR Combo
boxes.
Response I get:  "Tool bar not found.  Make sure the auto o c r option
is selected and that the toolbox is enabled in the toolbars option in
the view menu."
My comment:  As explained above, the Toolbox choice is checked.  Not
exactly sure how to select the Auto O C R option, but "Automatic" shows
as the active item in the list box above the Text Editor title bar.

I am using XP Home Edition, JAWS 5.1 and an HP scanner.  OmniPage Pro 14
seems to work fine on my computer for my daughter, who does not use
JAWS.

Thank you,

Bob Hartt