OCR programs that are useable with jaws

  • From: "dave_d0619" <dave_d0619@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:47:54 -0400

Hello Listers:

I downloaded Abbyy FineReader and installed it.

A very accessible program indeed.

You can try the program for fifteen days before the free demo period runs out
and you have to decide whether to buy the program or not.

The program has several options where you can scan to various formats, such as:
Scan to Word file; Scan to XL file; Scan to PDF file; etc. as quick tasks,
without running the full program.

The beauty of these choices is that having scanned a page, and closed the
program, the program converts the image to a Word document, for example, then
it launches the file which runs Word and the document appears in a document
window in Word.

I tried several types of printed material that I have lying around my house and
was extremely pleased with the accuracy of the output files.

I tried to download a demo version of OmniPage.

Although the web site gave the impression that a trial demo of the program
could be downloaded, I was not able to find the link in order for me to get the
trial version.

If anyone on the list can furnish me with the download link, I would be very
pleased to try it.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber