NEW AFRIKAANS SYNTHESISER

  • From: "Bennie and Catherine van Rensburg" <cbvrensburg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 07:55:32 +0300

Hallo!

Listers who enjoy reading Afrikaans, may be interested to know that Jonathan
Duddington in England and Christo de Klerk and Willem van der Walt in South
Africa have developed an Afrikaans synthesiser, using Microsoft's SDK.  It is
now, after English, the most advanced ESpeak synthesiser, with a huge
dictionary and linguistic rules base.  For those of us who have struggled for
years trying to listen to Afrikaans with Eloquence or incomprehensible Dutch
synthesisers, this is a wonderful breakthrough.  The synthesiser works
perfectly with Window-Eyes and on most Jaws machines.  On some machines using
Jaws 8.0, the synthesiser isn't picked up.  We don't quite know what the reason
is for this, but we think it could be related to the sequence of installation
of other SAPI 5 voices.  If you'd like to try it, the synthesiser is free and
may be obtained from Christo at cjdk@xxxxxxxxxxx  Christo is away at the moment
but will be back on Wednesday, the day after Christmas.

Season's greetings to all!

Bennie

c/o South African Embassy
Granatny Per 1, blg 9
MOSCOW 123001

Post from South Africa - letters only - can be sent via Diplomatic Bag to:
Post Nr 1366 (Moscow)
Private Bag X152
PRETORIA 0001

Tel (Home) +7 495 699 0326