Microsoft OneNote and eBay listings

  • From: "Sieghard Weitzel" <sieghard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:55:43 -0700

Hi, I have two questions which are quite unrelated:

1.       Is anybody using the OneNote application which is part of some of
the Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010 suites. I just installed Office 2010
Professional on a Windows 7 Professional machine and I am using the latest
version of Jaws 11. I have a business and really like what one can do with
OneNote especially regarding the ability of several people to share
(add/edit/update) notes and to have them sync between multiple computers via
the clouds. Unfortunately, the application could probably be made a lot more
accessible than it is out of the box. I called FS Tech Support this morning
and was told that at this point they didn't seem to be working on anything
related to this.

2.       Is anybody aware of an easy and accessible way to list items on
eBay? I just downloaded the Turbo Lister application, but it's also quite
complicated and some areas are less than easy to use and in fact probably
downright inaccessible. I'll get some sighted help to check it out further,
but if somebody knows of something simpler out there I'd appreciate the
information.

To conclude here is my long story on purchasing a computer. I hope Will may
find some useful thoughts in this.

First, I definitely recommend the Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional
platform and agree that it would be best to go with the 64 Bit version with
4 Gb of RAM (8 Gb if you want to spend the money).

My advice is that unless you really need a laptop to take to lectures, the
library, study groups etc. do yourself a favor and get a desktop. If you
want something portable, get a basic desktop and then spend $400 on an Asus
Netbook. I completely disagree with the estimate of $1,800 somebody
mentioned (no offense) for a good desktop. I run a retail business with a
Windows 2003 Small Business Server and 5 workstations throughout the store
and also have a desktop at home. I feel that without counting a screen,
printer, scanner etc. there is no need to spend more than $1,000 including
Windows 7. Most of my systems run around $600 to $700 Canadian without
operating system and I could see myself spending $200 more if I wanted
something with a faster processor and more RAM. I am not a fan at all of
desktops of any particular brand and much prefer a clone. Get a $150 to $180
Intel motherboard with onboard video, ask the store to put an I5 2.8 GHz
processor on it (about $240 Canadian) and 4 or 8 Gb of good RAM. Then have
them put this into a $89 case with a good power supply, add a 500 Gb hard
drive (I had really good luck with Seagate and that size will cost you about
$60) and a $40 DVD burner and you are done and I guaranty you won't have any
issues with Jaws and the video. I would recommend an external hard drive
rather than having tons of storage in the system and as for good backups, go
and spend $60 or whatever it is a year for a subscription to Carbonite or
Mozy Home remote backup. Your data will be backed up each evening (if the
machine is on) and you never have to do anything and can forget about it.

As for a portable solution, I sold my $1,500 laptop last year and this
spring went and bought a $400 Asus Netbook (Model 1005PE with an N450
Processor and a 250 Gb hard drive). I spend $55 extra to upgrade it from 1
Gb to 2 Gb of RAM and invested $89 for a Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Keyboard
with separate Bluetooth numeric pad which is an excellent solution for Jaws
users like me who hate to use the Laptop keyboard layout. I did upgrade the
Windows 7 Starter OS to Windows 7 Professional because I need to be able to
remote desktop into my server, but I really like this little machine and in
total that still only cost me $600. I get 12 hours of battery life and that
alone for me makes a laptop with 2-3 hours a joke. With the Netbook going to
sleep in between me using it for a few hours here, half an hour there I can
go for 2 days without having to recharge this thing. The built-in speakers
are loud and of surprisingly good quality. Buy that and a decent desktop and
you are in business for $1,500 and I'm talking about Canadian dollars, in
the States I would say $1,300 to $1,400 should do the trick. I've been a
computer and Jaws user since 1989 and have purchased a lot of computers
since that first 386 with a 70 Megabyte hard drive running DOS 4.01 and Jaws
1.1 and nowadays there really isn't much need for $2,000 or even $1,500
desktops or laptops if all you do is run some Office applications, browse
the web, do music etc.

Good luck,

Sieghard from British Columbia, Canada.