Re: May WindowEyes,JAWS coexist?

  • From: "Don Bishop" <donbishop49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:27:53 -0800

Hi,

You can install jfw 5 on your machine with window eyes 4.5 without a problem.
I'm assuming you're using xp.  If so, there are a couple things to keep in
mind.

First, and this will hold true for whatever operating system you are using, do
not try to run jfw and window eyes at the same time.

This probably won't hurt anything over the long run, but it will be very
confusing and your machine could lock up.

Also, if you are currently using window eyes as your primary screen reader and
have it starting automatically when you boot up your machine, be sure to
disable this before beginning the jfw install as the install will load a copy
of jfw which it will use during the rest of the install.  It will probably ask
you to restart
your machine early in the install, and you don't want window eyes to
automatically start as jfw will also start in order to finish the install.

Also, if you are loading jfw from the cd, shut down window eyes before you
insert the cd if you have autorun on your cd drive.

I am using jfw 5 and window eyes 4.5 on this machine with no ill effects at
all.

Finally, make sure you have hotkeys set up which you can use to start each
program when desired if you should wish to switch from one to the other
without rebooting.  Also, you need to decide which one you want to
automatically start when the system comes up if you want speech.  Otherwise
you'll
have to start speech manually.

I think that about covers it, but maybe someone else will have more to add.

Don

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:08:26 -0600, gary patterson wrote:

I have WindowEyes V4.5.1 and Kurzweil V8.01 on one machine. I would like
to install JFW V5 on this machine. What is the best method to accomplish
this environment? I use Eloquence speech and the Alva Satellite 544
braille display.

Recommendations will be gratefully appreciated.

Gary