RE: MSOffice- DRAWING LAYER OBJECTS HELP

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw-ms-office@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Jawslite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 12:17:24 -0400

Doreen,

I'm using jfw 6.1, so if my results differ from yours, let me know if
you're using another version.  I've heard, btw, that jfw has improved
with Word document handling with each version.

A drawing layer in Word is almost like a document within a document.
It's how Word handles placing images, and text that has something funky
about it, onto the normal page.  It allows you to specify how these
objects will appear, and where they will appear, and what wil overlap
what, if that's the effect you want, and how the overlap will be handled
(as if the object on top had a transparent background or not).  Text can
also be placed into a "frame" so that it can be moved to a specific
location on the page regardless of the other text (and this is sometimes
done to move text into the margins).

A person who wants to take some text and make it look funky in some way
(in an odd position, in a very odd style), might turn it into "WordArt".
You can do this as an experiment by selecting a line of text, choose the
insert menu, the picture submenu, and the word art choice.  Click ok on
the next 2 dialogs that appear and you'll have a word art object in your
document where your text used to be.

Now, the trick is to get jfw to read it to you.

First, set your word view for anything but normal, and then go into the
word tools menu and choose the options choice.  Go to the view tab, and
make sure the check boxes for "display picture placeholders" and
"display text boundaries" are *not* checked, and click ok.

Then, you're back in the Word document, so tell jfw you want to hear
about these objects by going into the Word verbosity settings (insert
plus "v").  Find the list box choice for borders and pictures and make
sure it's turned on, and choose to "close" the dialog with the close
button.

Now, if you use the left/right arrow keys, you  can make the Word/pc
cursor get on to the word art object, and jaws should tell you that it's
a picture, and read the text in the picture to you.

I haven't found any other way to get jfw to read it, not even if you're
on the right line and you use the read line command; so as far as I can
tell, unless you know it's there, you won't know to do what I just
described.

I've tried saving as text, and saving as html, and nothing works.

My next thought is that since I write word vba macros to process
documents, I might be able to write one to run through a document and
replace word art objects with the text they contain, I'll see what can
be done.  This would be an emergency work-around as this is something fs
should really handle, and I'll post this reply to the jaws list in case
someone there knows that jfw already does this, and can tell us how.

Hth,

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator