Re: Kindle with Jaws

  • From: "Gary King" <w4wkz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:25:28 -0500

Recently, after getting thoroughly disgusted by the frequent messages from
AMAZON.COM telling me about the thousands of books I could read with free apps
for the PC and iPhone, I went to the Kindle support page on AMAZON.COM and
filled out their message form telling them I could not read these books because
they had not made these apps accessible to screen readers.  I did get a
response thanking me for my suggestions, but it may have just been a canned
reply they send out to everyone that complains about their lack of
accessibility.

Programs to issue the hardware version of the Kindle Reader to college students
have been stopped until the Reader has been made fully accessible to the blind.
 AMAZON.COM claims to be implementing full accessibility into the Kindle
Reader, and hopefully, they will do the same for the free apps.  Everyone who
wants to have access to Kindle books should take the time to send AMAZON.COM a
message.

Gary King
w4wkz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx