Just a Reminder Re. 0Spam.com

  • From: Bruce Toews <coke_drinker@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:08:44 -0600 (CST)

We have a lotof new users over the past few days. Welcome, first of all. I
just thought I'd issue a very quick reminder about the 0spam.com service,
which some people are using in an attempt to deal with spam.

Unless this is configured very carefully, it can be extremely annoying to
mailing lists. Most list moderators have a policy wherein if they find a
user to be using 0spam.com and it is interfering in any way with list
traffic, that user is deleted from the list. I prefer to warn the user and
put them on nomail status, until such a time as they have the situation
resolved or they choose to receive list digests, letting the list address
come through. The upshot: unless you are completely and utterly sure what
you are doing, don't use 0spam. Even if you are sure what you are doing, I
recommend against it as it's a quick way to really annoy your friends.

It is beyond the scope of this list to explain how this 0spam.com
disservice works, so please don't even ask. Thanks.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
E-Mail and MSN/Windows Messenger: coke_drinker@xxxxxxxx