RE: Jaws not speaking normal characters, suddenly

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:49:59 +0100

The first bit of your posting sounds like the AutoCorrect option for
borders has been switched on within Word, although when you say that
none of the shifted numbers produce anything, that doesn't fit this
scenario. I'll run through it anyway, because it may be of use to
others.

The AutoCorrect borders feature allows you to create borders around a
paragraph by typing three characters on their own as a paragraph. I've
only been able to use asterisks, hyphens, underscores and equal signs to
create borders in this way. The way it works is if you press Enter to
move to a new paragraph, then type three asterisks with no spaces
between them and then press Enter again, the three asterisks are
replaced with a border.

To see if the AutoCorrect option is on, go to the Tools menu and choose
AutoCorrect. Press Control + Tab to move to the second page. How you
navigate the page depends on your version of Word; on Word 97 and 2000
you can tab around until you get to a checkbox with the word "borders"
in the label, while in Word 2003 you DownArrow until you get to the
checkbox. I don't have Word 2002 so I can't say what happens there. If
the item is checked, the feature is active.

If you want to check whether a paragraph has borders, the JAWS keystroke
Alt + Shift + B will tell you. Beware, though that the borders feature
outlined above is peculiar in exactly how it applies the borders. I
won't go into more detail unless there is an interest.

Steve