Re: Jaws and Attachments

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:11:08 -0700

Hi Marsha,

I am given the same reports about my email by Jaws, which I presume is
simply telling me what it sees Outlook Express displaying. But since I
figured out long ago that this was a quirk caused by something to do with
things like the company blurbs of AVG, I have learned not to be unnerved or
even meaningfully annoyed by this.

 For instance, when a message from a mailing list like this one announces
that it has an attachment, I don't even take the notification seriously,
because so far as I know, no one is sending any attachments to this list, or
my other lists, and even if they were to try, I think the servers are
configured to strip attachments from incoming emails. Maybe not on every
list, but that's pretty standard, so far as I'm aware.

And then, if I have reason to actually wonder if there's an attachment on
something, I simply check with the Jaws command Insert A when I'm within the
open message (it won't work when the message is still closed). And of
course, Jaws usually says "no attachments."

Finally, when friends and colleagues send me emails in which they say
something like "here's the second draft of the piece I'm working on, which I
attached as a Word file."  And of course, the attachment's actually there,
and, no, of course it's not viral.

So, although it may be disconcerting to have to deal with this, it needn't
drive you crazy or have you constantly worried about strange attachments
bombarding your inbox.

Just in hopes this may comfort you, maybe.