JAWS enters scroll lock mode

  • From: "KINNUNEN, DANIEL" <DANIEL.KINNUNEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:53:56 -0500

A couple times lately I've been using JAWS in Firefox, and for some
reason, the Up and Down Arrow keys start acting as scroll buttons
instead of JAWS reading keys. I press Down Arrow and instead of JAWS
reading the next line, the Web page starts visually scrolling down in
the window.

Any idea why that might be happening? I think it seems to happen when I
switch back to the browser from another window, but I'm not sure exactly
what order of events triggers it, and I cannot reproduce it at will.

When it happens, I try a variety of things, like refreshing the page,
pressing Numpad Plus to force JAWS into PC Cursor mode... but I cannot
seem to get JAWS to interpret the down/up arrow keys as reading keys
instead of being a scroll key. If I stop JAWS and restart, it clears up.

Any ideas? I have a friend who says he has seen this problem in Internet
Explorer also.

Thanks,
Dan Kinnunen

Alternative archives located at: