JAWS and AutoCAD

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <stephen.fail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:35:31 -0400

Stephen,

I used to sell and teach CAD when I was sighted, so I'm fairly familiar with
what it takes to draw in the typical CAD application.

Yes, it is possible to use a CAD application with JAWS, but is it practical,
and can you do it for a living? I think not.

There are just too many things which require sight when creating anything
but the most rudimentary drawings, and a CAD shop demands efficient,
accurate, and speedy results from its employees.

You might be able to use a CAD application for personal projects, but
sighted help will be required for many aspects of your drawings.

You can rely upon keyboard input of X and Y coordinates to place lines and
other elements in your drawing, but drag-and-drop placement of elements is
problematic, and some drawing tools are completely inaccessible to a blind
user.

Good luck!

Alan

Stephen wrote:
hello list
can anyone tell me if they use or know of any blind person that uses AutoCAD
or any other architectural program. i don't know if technology has come far
enough to let a blind person use this kind of program but if anyone knows
different i would certainly appreciate them telling me so. Stephen