JAWS 9 issues

  • From: <yesitscal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 18:16:29 +0000

I'm having some problems with JAWS since I got virused a few weeks ago and was
hoping someone might be able to help me out.

First of all, this is the second reinstall I've done in the last couple of
weeks.  Each time, I've been unable to configure my computer to display in
windows classic mode despite following the step-by-step instructions provided
by Freedom Scientific.  Any ideas as to what's going on here?

Next, I don't know if I have JAWS 9 installed correctly since I got an error
message during installation and speech died, so my brother completed the
install for me.  There is a message coming up as soon as I log onto windows,
something to do with video intercept, or something like that, but was unable to
arrow up and down through the various choices when I got this message, and when
I clicked on "okay" I got some other message which I was not able to get past.
After closing that message out, I got an authorization message and, although I
had trouble with this part, too, JAWS seems to be running in full mode rather
than demo mode, so I'm guessing that I somehow got my copy authorized
successfully.

Now, when I'm in the JAWS window, though, and do an insert+up arrow key, I
don't get the version number read out, as I did before, and also when I'm in
IE, Word, Outlook Express and I assume other programs as well, I'm not getting
the status line read out as to page location, number of messages in a
particular mailbox, the status of the current page, whether it's still loading,
etc.

When I'm in Outlook Express, the names of the fields don't automatically read
out when I tab from one to the other, and when I tab back from the message
field to the subject field I cannot read the subject which I had typed in
earlier.

I've considered just installing JAWS 10 and seeing if that fixes some problems,
but I'm always a bit leery about upgrading when the current version I've been
using has been working fine in the past.  I'm used to navigating around
(finally) using V9 and I know that there's that new feature in V10 where you
automatically go into forms mode, but I actually like using the enter key to
activate forms mode.

If anyone could shed any light on what might be causing some of the above stuff
to occur I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.
Alternative archives located at: