JAWS 9 and Sirius Satellite Radio On-line Issue

  • From: "Ray Campbell" <ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:22:33 -0500

Hello all:

I have a client that is running JAWS 9.0, Internet Explorer Version 7
and Windows XP Home.  He is a subscriber to Sirius Satellite Radio.

Here is what happens when he wants to listen to Sirius on-line.  He goes
onto the internet using Internet Explorer and goes to:
www.sirius.com

At this site, there is a Listen On-line link.  My client can press enter
on this link and access the Sirius Player.

Once there, there are three edit boxes.  He inputs his user name into
the first one, presses tab twice to go past the Remember User Name box,
types his password, hits tab once, then comes to the edit box where he
has to type in a Captcha.  If he presses tab one more time, he comes to
a link that says listen and type the numbers you hear.

When he presses enter on that link, the numbers play.  What happens
after that is JAWS is dead in the sirius player window.  In other words,
he cannot shift tab back to the edit box to type in the numbers he just
heard.  He can't get any response by up arrowing and down arrowing.
Alt-tabbing away from this player window and back doesn't work either.

He has all windows updates, and he has all sound card driver updates.
He does not have the Google Tool Bar.  He has a copy of AVG 7.5 on his
system, and while I'm going to recommend that he download 8.5, I don't
think this would be causing the problem.

I've tried duplicating the problem here with JAWS 9, IE 7 and Windows XP
Home and cannot.  Has anyone on this list seen this problem and if so,
what did you do to fix it?  He has talked to Freedom Scientific and they
don't have any answers, either.

Thanks,

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)