JAWS 10 SAPI voices and punctuation levels

  • From: "Kevin Gibbs" <kevjazz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:03:10 -0500

Dear All,
    I have JAWS 10 on my system with Sib Access, a plugin designed to make
the Sibelius Music Notation software program accessible.  I would like to
use the SAPI voices with Sib Access instead of Eloquence even though I've
been told that the SAPI voices are much slower and are best used when
reading long documents.  I just like the sound.  Not only that, I have
multiple computers and I would benefit from having different voices for each
so I know which one is speaking to me at any given time.  The problem is
that I can't arrive at a workable compromise that gives me the right level
of spoken punctuation.  If I have punctuation set to all, that will make
JAWS read the names of files located in folders with periods in their names
before the .3, such as exe files with detailed version numbers,  correctly.
However, If I do that, I hear much too much punctuation when I'm in apps
like Sibelius and Sonar.  However, if I minimize the punctuation to an
appropriate level for Sibelius, file names of the sort I just described are
read as having dates in the body of their title when read by JAWS in Windows
Explorer.
    For someone who has used JAWS as long as I have, I'm simply not as
accomplished as I should be.  A little vision is a dangerous thing.  Is
their a solution that will give me the punctuation compromise I want?  I
seem to get what I want when I'm in the default voice with Eloquence.
Thanks,
Kevin