Is readability of PDF files [by JAWS] affected by the document being tagged

  • From: "Patricia A. Thorsen" <pattythorsen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:21:29 -0500

I am doing testing of a private database service using JAWS.  I know that PDF files can be problematic, in terms of JAWS being able to read them.  If a PDF file is not tagged, does that mean that JAWS will not be able to read it.  I needed to read a PDF file and when JAWS did not read it, I checked the properties tab, which indicated that the file was not tagged.  My sense is that the tagging is at the heart of the issue, because the screen reader needs some text to read in order to interpret the information.  Yet, it also seems to me to be too simple of an explanation.

I may have other testing issues at play here, but, I wanted to determine if my suspision about PDF files was anywhere close to being accurate. If I can learn something I have no problem with appearing to be a fool.

Thanks for your help.

Patty Thorsen

May we together go dancing,
May we together sing,
With feet tripping lighter than air,
May we together go singing
With spirits ignited
May we light up this day.
Written on a dare
From a friend at Cabrini Catholic Church,
To write something about light.
-- JFW related links: JFW homepage: http://www.freedomscientific.com/ Scripting mailing list: http://lists.the-jdh.com/listinfo.cgi/scriptography-the-jdh.com JFW List instructions: To post a message to the list, send it to jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a message to jfw-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line. Archives located at: //www.freelists.org/archives/jfw If you have any concerns about the list, post received from the list, or the way the list is being run, do not post them to the list. Rather contact the list owner at jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx