Re: Help installing second sound card

  • From: "Roden" <info.rczenterprise@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:07:37 -0800

ATTN:

See each response below:

1) If I have someone install a second card, is it correct that JAWS will remain
on the default (original) card?

Ans:
No, It will use the new sound card as the default.  But, You can change it by
modifying the .ini file.

2) If I go into control panel and change windows and all other sounds to the
new card, will JAWS still be using the old card?  (I'll perhaps need more
specific
instructions for this, if this is correct.)

Ans:
yes, it is possible to separate weather your old sound card will use by JAWS
and your other sound skeam will come out to your external sound card.

Like what I did, I'm using a laptop that has a built-in sound card (SoundMax
Digital Audio) and a Creative Sound Blaster USB External sound card (Creative
SoundLive 24 Beat), in which, JAWS uses the built-in sound card and my other
sound skeam uses the external sound card.  So, everytime I'm going to play a
song or watching a movie, the sound comes out through my external sound card.

3) So, if the above is true, then is there no need to modify the JAWS .ini
file?

Ans:
As I mentioned in the above statement, you need to modify the .ini file.
Please check it out:

1. Open the .ini file.
2. Look for the list of installed synthesizer.
3. Once you found it, look for the line that says, "Synth1Driver=Eloq".
4. Below the code, type the code below:

Synth1Port=(Your sound card)

In my .ini file, since, I'm using the Soundmax Digital Audio, the line look
like this,

Synth1Port=SoundMax Digital Audio

So, JAWS uses my built-in sound card.  Once it is success, save the changes in
.ini file and restart JAWS.

You can find the exact name of your sound card under Sound and Audio devices in
Control Panel.

4) Since there were sometimes issues with JAWS stuttering with the SoundBlaster
Live cards, I'm thinking to leave JAWS on the original on-board card, and
use the SB Live for music, etc.  Does this seem logical?

Ans:
yes...

5) Will all of this enable me to turn down loud music on web pages and adjust
JAWS volume separately, as I hope?

Ans:
yes, it is possible.  Once you configure JAWS to use your built-in sound card,
you can adjust each sound card in Volume control.  To adjust each sound card:

1. Open volume control.
2. Since, you are using your external sound card as your default sound card for
audio skeam, and if you want to adjust the level volume of your windows sound
skeam, you can directly adjust within the default sound card.  but, if you want
to adjust the level volume of JAWS, go to option, and look for Properties.
there you will find the list of available sound card installed on your pc.
Choose the sound card that JAWS used.  Then, press enter.  The adjustment
controls will be activated for JAWS.  You can adjust the level volume for jaws.

Hope This Helps

Roden

  1) If I have someone install a second card, is it correct that JAWS will
remain on the default (original) card?

  2) If I go into control panel and change windows and all other sounds to the
new card, will JAWS still be using the old card?  (I'll perhaps need more
specific instructions for this, if this is correct.)

  3) So, if the above is true, then is there no need to modify the JAWS .ini
file?

  4) Since there were sometimes issues with JAWS stuttering with the
SoundBlaster Live cards, I'm thinking to leave JAWS on the original on-board
card, and use the SB Live for music, etc.  Does this seem logical?

  5) Will all of this enable me to turn down loud music on web pages and adjust
JAWS volume separately, as I hope?

  Please feel free to take this off list if appropriate and mail me directly at
the address below.  Thanks a million to anyone who can assist.

  Cher Bosch
  Services for the Blind & Visually Impaired
  Cher.Bosch@xxxxxxxxxxx
  865-594-6060 X1129